Thursday, December 27, 2007

Jesus Christ and Ice Fishing

My 37th Christmas.

I have not participated in the tradition of giving and receiving presents on Christmas Day since 2001. I was angry and confused on why after September 11th our President didn't ask us to love more, to give more, to understand more... He asked us to shop more, to show the world that we would not let the "freedom haters, the evil doers" stop us and our economy. I was dismayed, I've spent some great December 25ths since then. I always spend time contemplating the teachings of Jesus and his call to humans to love thy enemy as you would love thy self which stands out during these times we follow in the news. I've gone hiking, i've spent the day in meditation and one year I drove down to Boston walked the Freedom trail and had dinner in China Town. One of my favorites was when I spent the day demolishing the old Kitchen at the Stone Church while we were renovating her back in 2003. I still do not participate in the gift process as I just believe this world needs less consumption. We will not destroy the Earth, we will only destroy ourselves.

This year I spent it with my family with a much better understanding of family. My Uncle got engaged, my 17 yr old cousin gave me a ride in his Jeep we even went off road a bit, I won a few bucks at the poker game and many more laughs! And we went Ice Fishing on a beautiful country pond in Brookfeild Mass. And I got a some time just to be with my family which I hope to do more of in 2008, which is at the gate. I hear the buzzer, smell the fresh and I look forward to what it will put in front of me.

Next up I'm heading back out on the road with my friend Derek around Jan. 8th. We are going to work at a Buddhist Retreat Center in Florida for a week long retreat. We are driving down and will wander on either side of the trip. Our plans are still coming into focus.....

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Peter,
You best be adding some more writing to this blog soon. I'm sick of reading the same old shit. And also, I expect you to be back from the Islands to consecrate our house with some mantras in the fall. Peace be will you.
Jennie